Reputable French Bulldog breeders are hard to find these days. French Bulldogs are all the rage right now- flaunted by popular celebrities, influencers & families alike. The number of people who want to bring a French Bulldog into their lives climbs a little higher with every casual social media scroll.
Unfortunately for individuals and families who are seriously trying to welcome a French Bulldog puppy into their lives, this heightened interest opens the door for an increased number of online scams and unethical breeding practices. This equates to really heartbreaking situations for countless French Bulldog puppies and potential families making it difficult to find reputable French Bulldog breeders.
My name is Peter K and I’m a Canadian French Bulldog breeder & some of my follow’s like to jokingly call me the “ the Frenchie King “. My personal dogs, Kifli & Fuli, are of European descent and share my heritage with me. I’m passionate about promoting and practicing ethical French Bulldog breeding, educating on the fun-loving French Bulldog breed and, as I like to say, creating little love stories with each French Bulldog puppy I home! I am emotionally, mentally, energetically and financially invested in each French Bulldog puppy I breed, and it is crucial for me to have peace of mind that EACH one goes to the best, most loving and “pawfect” forever home. I’ve put together some info on how to find reputable French Bulldog breeders, so continue reading if you’re searching!
Researching Reputable French Bulldog Breeders
If you want to bring home a happy and healthy French Bulldog puppy, research is imperative. Start with a simple google search for French Bulldog breeders in your area (or within a further scope if that suits you! I am an Ontario French Bulldog breeder, but I have homed puppies both within Canada as well as the US). When you’re researching reputable French Bulldog breeders, pay attention to their website and Facebook page. Look to see when they were created, the quality of photos, and the frequency of post. Also, loo Rule out any breeders that look “shady” or that just feel off- listen to your gut!
After shortlisting a few French Bulldog breeders, reach out and get to know them. For me, I send out a questionnaire by email after a family reaches out. The email will come with some information about who I am, the process, prices, what is included, etc). Once it’s returned, I arrange for a FaceTime interview to get to know one another. If you’re chatting with French Bulldog breeders, have a list of questions prepared and go in having done your own due diligence and research on the breed. You should have already determined if the French Bulldog breed is right for you or not. I have a blog about titled “French Bulldog: is right for you?”
Recommended Questions to Ask
- How many litters do your breeding stock each have? (You want to identify which ones disregard the health of the mothers by excessively breeding for several in their lifetime. Personally, I breed my females a MAX of four times in their breeding career).
- How many breeding females do you have? (Multiple litters per year doesn’t always mean they’re unethical or inhumane French Bulldog Breeders. The litter could be from multiple dogs)
- Are the parents on-site to meet? ALWAYS expect pictures if unable to meet in person. Some French Bulldog breeders import puppies from breeding partners in Europe, use a stud from another breeder, etc. This also does not mean unethical. Some of the BEST and HEALTHIEST puppies are born elsewhere. Another example would be the MPF Guardianship Program. I breed French Bulldogs and will often keep one from the litter to be a part of my breeding program. That puppy is placed in a guardian home, which is their family but I maintain breeding rights. You can read more about the Guardianship Program here. Just be sure to determine WHY you cannot meet the parents in person.
- Do the puppies come with health guarantees, microchipped, etc
- What is the process should we decide to move forward? If the breeder is comfortable with you, ONLY THEN, will they ask for a deposit. NEVER send money to see additional pictures or more than a small deposit at this point
- Do you make a practice of genetic testing to ensure healthy parents and puppies? (this eliminated a lot of serious health risks and complications)
Reputable French Bulldog Breeders Will Interview You As Well
As I have stated, I thoroughly vet pre-puppy placement. An ethical and humane French Bulldog breeder should have questions for YOU as well. I always say that French Bulldog breeding is so much more than business for me, and it really is. The future and wellbeing of every puppy is my top priority. I could never just give away one of my puppies without ensuring that it’s a good fit for them. My goal is to ensure a safe, knowledgeable, and most importantly LOVING home that can provide and care for a puppy. I aim to secure the best future for all of my pups.
Follow Your Instincts
ALWAYS ask for references and actually make contact with them. Read reviews on social media about other people’s experiences with the breeder. If something feels off, even if you can’t quite put your finger on what exactly, don’t be shy to stray away and keep searching. Be aware of scams. I did a whole video about How To Avoid A Puppy Scam on my YouTube channel.
A reputable French Bulldog breeder will always have a contract ready to go. This protects all parties involved and offers a reference should any confusion arise. This contract should be professional and the breeder should have it at the ready.
You should be provided with a contract BEFORE making a deposit, the contract should be signed by BOTH parties, and kept for personal records. The contract should outline the expectations of the breeder (what vaccines the dog comes with, microchip, registration if applicable, health guarantee, etc). The health guarantee should specify EXACTLY what’s being covered and what is not. Contracts should outline what the breeder expects from buyers (ie spayed or neutered by x day, buy back clause, etc).
Overall, buying a French Bulldog is incredibly exciting but be sure to do your due diligence. If you choose to purchase from a breeder other than me, I do offer 1:1 consults if you would like assistance reviewing a contract from a breeder you are considering entrusting. There is more info on that service **here Additionally, I have created a ton of FREE content you can access on My Pawesome Frenchie YouTube channel and Instagram.
Happy Frenchie shopping!